As per law, it is a legal requirement to buy insurance in the state of Nevada, to be able to legally drive in and around the city and also to other parts of the state. The state motor vehicle bureaus and insurance companies are linked together through the Insurance Verification Program. This enables automatic exchange of information about new policies, canceled policies and renewals, amongst them.
The average nationwide insurance has increased manifold since last 5 years. The state of Nevada has set a minimum requirement for insurance coverage as:
- $15,000 – in case of one person’s injury or death in an accident
- $30,000 for more than one person’s injury or death
- $10,000 for the damage of the property
Las Vegas has dramatically higher average insurance cost of $2,027 which is even higher than the nationwide average of $1,561. There are reasons for this exorbitant cost of insurance in Las Vegas:
- There are more than 18 million cars on the road which infers more probability of accidents.
- There has been an increase of 3% in the rate of Bodily Injury Liability, with traffic deaths increased by 7.7% since 2015.
- The distracted driving has caused 3500 traffic deaths in the year 2016, making it a 2.2% increase than the year 2015.
The accidents can leave you devasted with physical injuries and may inflict additional expenses and lawsuits. A car accident attorney must be hired to win fair compensation for the damage being done to your car and you.
Facts that Help in Understanding High Insurance Rates in Las Vegas
Las Vegas is a happening place. Apart from more than a million people driving the streets, it welcomes travelers from all over the world. During holiday season such as Christmas or during an event, the number of people pouring in skyrocketed. There are more useful facts which would help in understanding the mandate of buying t car insurance in Las Vegas and their high rates:
- Las Vegas has more than 50% of the male population who are responsible for causing more than 80% of accidents while driving.
- The road traffic increases by 3% due to the incoming of more than 11,000 people every day because of their job.
- There are more than 100,000 workers who both live and work in Las Vegas.
- Las Vegas tops the list with the highest auto theft
- The city adds 32 million plus tourists annually. A single year has recorded 243 fatalities out of which, 68 fatalities, were due to DUI.
While selecting the agent for the car insurance, one needs to know and understand the type of coverage the policy provides. The required coverage includes bodily injury liability coverage, property damage liability and uninsured motorist coverage. You may choose the full coverage or make options for the most needed cover.
The claims and insurance cover also depend upon the make of the car. More expensive claims can be made for safer vehicles. It is more costly to repair and replace damaged parts such as bumpers with sensors and video cameras, side mirrors which have blind spot monitoring, etc. There is an array of factors that impact the insurance premiums including a motorist’s marital status, driving history, credit rating, gender, and age.